Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blog Post 11

First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class: Little Kids... Big Potential



These students amazed me! I never realized how much of an effect a blog could have on a child. Other than learning basic computer skills, these kids are learning internet safety, tactfulness, and how to improve their writing. I think they know more than most adults know. The future looks bright with these children!

Kathy Cassidy Skype Conversation

What I loved most about this conversation is how Ms. Cassidy explained the benefits of blogging in her class: improvement in writing skills. I was most interested in this because I hope to become an English teacher. On paper, the students are hoping to gain feedback from their teacher, and maybe a few of their peers. With a blog, they are able to get feedback from THE WORLD. It also puts the thought in my mind that my students just may be more advanced in writing than I expect them to be, coming into my class.

I also liked her view on cheating and the Internet. A main concern regarding students and the Internet is that they my be tempted to copy ideas from others. However, a teacher can very well get creative with they way he/she wants the information presented. Blogging is definitely a tool I would consider using in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Khaela,

    I too am planning on teaching English, and the use of blogging can definitely be implemented into my classroom. I agree that blogging improves writing skills. Students will most likely be more careful with their writing considering that the entire world can view their work. It is also nice that they can receive feedback from people other than the teacher and classmates. I also think that students can be more creative by using a blog. They can incorporate movies and pictures. The students are also learning about internet safety and what is appropriate. The thing I like most about the blog is that there is so much communication taking place. It is a wonderful tool for all classrooms and especially an English class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Khalea,

    I also enjoyed what Ms. Cassidy had to say about blogging. Not only does it help with their words and sentences but they are also very proud their work is being shown off. I do agree with the fact that with only pencil and paper the teacher sees their work but with blogging anyone can see it and they like that better. I agree with what you said about students being more careful with their work when blogging. Blogs are a fun and interactive tool used for learning! Great post!

    ReplyDelete