Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post 10

An Open Letter to Educators

Morgan Bayda blogs about a video she came across, featuring a guy by the name of Dan Brown who dropped out of college because his "schooling was interfering with [his] learning".



Dan details much of the issues a college student goes through: sitting among dozens to hundreds of students in a huge lecture hall, all of whom are virtual strangers to the one professor, up at the head of the class, rambling off facts that the students frantically scribble down in hopes of remembering them for the test they'll be on. I've had at least one class like that, and yes, it is quite the hassle.

As Morgan states, this way of learning is not relevant to the forward moving world we're in now. Learning is easier and better (and FREE) via the internet. If we wanted to know something 20 years ago, chances are, we'd have no choice but to pay a pretty penny for it, and sit through all the gruel that Dan described. Nowadays, it's all at our fingertips at no cost to us. If the education systems would like to keep its students, then like Dan said, it's going to have to do more than adopt a few new tools. It needs a total upgrade.

Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home

I believe this post encourages creativity in students that would have otherwise been hindered. Letting students take pencils home lets them know that they can also teach themselves, and in a way, teach others.

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life

I love how motivational this is! Everyone has their own question/sentence that reflects their goals. My sentence (which I've been thinking about a lot this week) is "I want my mom to say 'My daughter is a teacher.' rather than 'My daughter wanted to be a teacher, but...'" The question, though, is "Am I better today than I was yesterday?"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Khaela,

    I think you have a good sentence but remember that your sentence can change over time. I think I am on the verge of changing mine.

    I think you anilized the Open letter to Education well.

    Keep on Blogging!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete